Monday, January 23, 2012

Duck & Cover Bunker

I was up getting the kids ready for school this morning and the tornado siren went off. The weather has been strange, but it caught me a little off guard. Not the best way to start the day. All the schools went to a 2-hour late start and I explained the situation to the big kids. They were a little spooked, but they seemed fine. But when Tony was getting ready to leave for school, Anna starts to sob. Turns out, she wasn't so worried about our actual house blowing away in a tornado, but she was so sad because she would miss Bunny and Rebecca (her American Girl doll) when the house blew away. So I told her to go carefully put them in my closet (our "safe" spot) so that if we had to hide, they would be there with us. And that's exactly what she did.

And just so it is recorded for posterity, Josh slept through the entire thing. Sirens. Wind. Rain. Thunder. Lightening.

Seriously.

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I hate hate that kind of weather. I have a safety tip...we all get our bike helmets to take when we go under cover. Ben who is really afraid of tornados will put that thing on anytime the sky gets dark. Last summer he was so afraid to drive through Kansas on our trip GA - Ca. . Ones in GA...the day the tornado ripped through downtown ATL it was bad at our house. Steve of course was in Iraq. But the hail was so loud on our windows I was scared they were going to break. Three houses down from us a pine tree sliced right through the center of the house. I had never seen anything like it. Stay safe!!!!

Madeleine said...

I remember these alarms. Our closet was also the safe spot. But the alarms would always come in the middle of the night. For the first few times I would drag the kids out of bed and into the closet. After, the first year, I would get up watch the news keep the TV on and if the red area was near Maxwell then I would go get the kids.