Saturday, June 4, 2011

San Fran-MOMA & Chinatown

The morning after Wicked, Tony and I caught a 6:00 a.m. flight to SAN FRANCISCO! Joan kindly agreed to stay with the kids after the show so Tony and I could have a small getaway before the big move. We flew into San Jose, got our rental and drove into San Fran. We got checked into our hotel just a few blocks from Union Square and then set out on an adventure! We walked over the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and checked out their permanent collection and also toured the newly opened Stein Collection which shows some of the collection of Gertrude Stein and her family and the impact they had on Expressionism in Europe. Tony was a good sport. He even got to the point where he recognized some the artists and could clearly state if he liked a piece or not. That, my friends, is progress. Here are some of my very faves from the day:

Paul Klee, Heldenmutter
















Pablo Picasso, Les Femmes d'Alger












Rothko, No. 14















After the MOMA, we walked back to our hotel and then on to Chinatown for a Chinese dinner. Oh.My.Gosh. Nothing like authentic Chinese food in a tiny, cramped, hole in the wall. I even got a little authentic Chinese food on my favorite grey jacket. But with my tummy full of yummy food, well, I didn't mind so much.

More to come!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

My favorite state and my favorite town! Only 2 MORE MONTHS and I will be living close to there. Darn bad timing me and you. What a wonderful treat to get away...just the two of you.

HA! I live surrounded by those wholes in the wall serving the tastiest cuisine I have ever known. We are going to miss Korea!!!

Eloise said...

So glad you and Tony were able to get away together. San Francisco is one of my favorite places! Lots to see and do, so beautiful and cool, and very romantic. Have a wonderful time!