Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cherry-Almond Bars

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend!

Just a quick share today. I made this Gooseberry Patch recipe for our book group when I hosted earlier this month and they were a huge hit! I made them again today for a baby shower and I was reminded how absolutely simple they are to make. Easy and almond?? Fabulous.

















Cherry-Almond Bars

1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
3 c. flour
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. pure almond extract
1 tsp. salt
21 oz. can cherry pie filling

Blend shortening and sugar together; add next 5 ingredients and mix well. Pour 3/4 of batter into a greased 15x10" jellyroll pan; spread cherry pie filling over the top. Dot with remaining batter; bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Drizzle with almond glaze while still warm; cut into squares and serve.

Almond Glaze:

1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
2-3 Tbs. milk

Stir all ingredients together until well blended.


Did I mention how easy-peasy these are to make? They were made even easier with this little lady. She's new and I wonder how I ever got along without her.  New KitchenAid, almond AND easy??  Divine, I tell you.

6 comments:

condiefamily said...

CONGRATS! Love the new Kitchenaid! I am so glad you finally got one. You will love it!

Jeni said...

I can't tell which is more delicious...the bars or that mixer.

Heather said...

These sound yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :-)

Leenz said...

Yay! You WILL wonder how you got along without it. The red color is awesome. Can't wait to try the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Seriously - with all your baking, I can't believe you haven't had a Kitchen Aid before now! I grew up using my mom's, and when I was finishing college I wanted one but my mom said it was something she wouldn't buy until I was more settled (aka out of school, married). So, with a bonus check from work, I promptly went and bought myself one, a red one too named Terpsichore (the muse of dance) . . .LOVE it! I would never have spent the money myself for the Kitchen Aid blender, but we got one when we got married, and it's great too! a red one too named Calliope (muse of epic poetry), and we have a red food processor named Clio (muse of history). Yes, I'm a bit obsessed with my Kitchen Aids! :)
Courtney

shauna said...

Those look absolutely scrumptious! I will have to look for an occasion to make them so I can share rather than eat the whole pan alone!