Wednesday, September 2, 2009

And It Begins Again

Today was the first day of school for Sam and Anna. We spent a good part of yesterday afternoon at an Open House meeting the teachers and finding classrooms and the kids were so excited that (thank goodness) they worked themselves into a state of exhaustion in time for bed. That being said, they still beat me up and were dressed and ready for the day before I was completely coherent.

Anna is in half-day everyday Kindergarten...when I went to pick her up before lunch today she cried because she wanted to ride the bus home. Thanks, Anna. Nothing like preferring a bus to your mother to make her already emotional day collapse even further.

That's right. A bus. We live maybe 2 miles (at the most) from the school and for the first time in my time as a mother, the kids will be bussed. One of the benefits of living on base.

Sam started 3rd grade and was a little more nervous than I have seen him on other first days. He finished his first homework assignment (picked up at the Open House) hours before dinner last night and, knowing him, will be all set to hit it hard again tomorrow. Yes, my friends, that makes FOUR different schools in FOUR years. What a kid.

And this is how Josh took to all the excitement.

Yeah, buddy. I kinda know how you feel.

13 comments:

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Yeah for the start of school - hope you have a great day.

Kristi said...

He isn't old enough to have gone to 4 schools is he? His teacher will be so lucky to have him in class- he is such a good kid! Hope they both have a great year!

MooreInterest said...

Oh,my relationship with school days is a love/hate. I love getting things done, I hate missing my kids! But look how cute they are! All set and ready to go! You're a great Mom

The Brough Family said...

Looks like a great day. Sorry about the tears over the bus, but it sounds like another little girl I know. I know you'll enjoy your time with Josh. Wish them both a great year from us!!

BeckyRuss said...

Could your kids be any cuter!!! Funny that Anna wanted to ride the bus--bless her heart. They look so put together--great job mom!

Kathleen said...

they both looked so cute! i can't believe sam's been in that many schools already! and they have 1/2day kindergarten?! w/buses?? lucky you!

Jon Vance said...

Oh, if I hadn't eaten all my cookies I would send you some! I hear ya on the emotional 1st day back to school.

(P.S. I'm so very glad to hear that you got your miracle!)

Jenni said...

that is such a sweet picture! :) Saying goodbye to your daughter for her first day of school ever must have been a little rough, I hope you are okay! I remember when Gracie went to Kindergarten, and I was completely ALONE after ten years of being on duty, it was really strange! It sounds like your son and daughter are liking school so far, which is great, and you still have a buddy to keep you company during the school day! :)

Eloise said...

Beautiful pictures, Amber! The start of school is always an exciting time, and I know well that heart wrenching feeling of sending a child off to kindergarten.

I'm glad everyone is happy with their new school and teachers and know that they were be buzzing about all of their new friends soon as well.

Hope you can take some time for yourself or do something special with Josh now that the others are back to school.

Sydney said...

It's been so fun to see everyone's back to school pictures! My little guy is having so much fun at school. Looks like yours are off to a good start.

Loralee and the gang... said...

First day of school? Not to complain, but why start right before the last big holiday of the summer? What a stinkin bummer. But I am gload for you that the kiddies are so excited about it!
:~D
PS Do I have your phone number?

Anonymous said...

you have 1/2 day kindergarten - hooray! i am so sad that all kindergarten here has gone to full day - just seems like so much!

Nicole said...

Wow! Four schools in 4 years??? Does he have a hard time with that or just he just roll with it? Either way, sounds like he makes the most of it.