Saturday, August 11, 2007

Our Town

I have finally joined the blogging band-wagon and look forward to sharing glimpses of our crazy life with friends and family a little more easily. Feel free to comment...you shouldn't have to register to comment. My goal is at least once a week, so check back often. We have a lot to catch up on.

But first things first. We are settled into our new home in Papillion, Nebraska...recently named #6 on Money Magazine's best places to live in America--we'd put it closer to #1. As with many of Nebraska's delightful towns, you don't actually pronouce it like you think you should. After 6 years of French studies, I believe that "papillon" is the French word for "butterfly" (pap-E-o). Our town is spelled Papillion and is pronounced "pap-ill-E-on." Still hurts my delicate French ears every time I hear it. Just wait until we share how we pronouce "Beatrice," "Kearney," and "Norfolk"...


This is our water tower. What a delight for the kids to know that we are close to home when they see our special water tower with the monarch butterfly on it. LOVE it. One of the JOYS of living in Papillion. We look forward to discovering the many more.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Hey, you got it figured out!

How is Josh doing today? I hope he is feeling better.

LOL, about the pronunciation of some things here in Nebraska. It can't be quite as bad as American Fark, though.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber et al! I found your link on Darci's page and decided to come and see what you're up to! I had to laugh at your first entry. Austen was born in Nor-fork! Funny stuff.

I hope you are all well!

Greetings from Great Falls,

Margaret